Monday, April 11, 2011

Novels for Knitters: Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street Series

In the mood for some light summer reading? If you haven't discovered "The Blossom Street Series" by Debbie Macomber, I suggest you check them out. For those of you familiar with the series, I discovered a new one this past weekend at Walmart (30% of the cover price at Walmart). "The Knitting Diaries" contains three short novels by three New York Times Best Selling Authors; Debbie Macomber, Susan Mallery and Christina Skye. To be honest, I haven't read it yet, but I have read and enjoyed immensely all of the other six Blossom Street books. In a world full of earthquakes, financial doom and gloom, federal elections etc, etc, I crave happy endings. Debbie's novels are entertaining, easy reads where all the loose ends are tied up and everyone ends up happy. Debbie has published over 150 romance novels. Knitting figures prominently in the seven books in the Blossom Street Series. If you are interested in reading this series, I suggest you read them in order, the stories sort of build on each other. "The Shop on Blossom Street" is first.
Then "A Good Yarn" is #2
The Shop on Blossom Street and A Good Yarn revolve around a yarn shop, it's owner Lydia and her group of knitting class students. Book #3, "Susannah's Garden" is about the flower shop next door to the yarn store. How cool is that coincidence. (If you have never visited Serenity Knits, we have the most incredible flower shop, Blooming Wellies, next door to us)


#4 is "Back On Blossom Street"


#5 "Twenty Wishes"
#6, Summer on Blossom Street
#7, her most recent, "The 21st Wish", is a follow-up to" 20 Wishes". It is part of a 3 novel anthology called "The Knitting Diaries"
I thoroughly enjoy Debbie's novels. They are not deep or complicated or award winning novels, just simple entertaining stories that frequently hit the New York Times Best Seller List. So I am obviously not the only one who enjoys them. We have copies of several of her Blossom Street books at the store which you are welcome to borrow if you would like.

Beth

1 comment:

Danmark said...

I have enjoyed all the Blossom Street books but this is the first one that has given me something to take away besides a lovely story. I want to start my own book of 20 wishes and am going to borrow some of my list from the characters!

But back to the story. The book started out a little slower for me than others in the series, partially because of a number of new characters (or characters who were primarily in the background) and that familiar characters from previous books are very much in the background. But once I got into it, I really enjoyed it.