Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)


More Blogs



Previous | Next
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Blocking Does Matter

If you have ever wondered ........
* is it worth it to block?
* why doesn't my scarf look like the pattern? what am I doing wrong?
Take a look at these before and after pictures of  a cowl I just finished.

Straight off the needles.

After wet blocking.


Close up of the Chevron slip stitch pattern

 
I was surprised that after blocking, the wrong side also had an
interesting pattern not really obvious before blocking
 

Blocking does not always mean stretching out your knit with pins and/or wires. For this cowl. I wet blocked. After finishing the cowl, I soaked it for a few minutes in some Eucalan wool wash.  I then removed as much moisture as possible by  wrapping it in a towel. I then stretched it out on a towel, smoothing the surface by what I call "hand ironing" - just smoothing it out with firm hand pressure. I then just form it to the shape I want, smooth straight edges and even widths, and then just let it air dry. Quite a difference. Never underestimate the value of proper blocking. It can make an unbelievable difference in you project.
Beth
PS If you like this cowl, the pattern will soon ( by September 10) be available  FREE with yarn purchase at the store. The pattern will explain how you can knit this cowl to any size in any weight of yarn.

No comments: