Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)


More Blogs



Previous | Next
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Jacques Cousteau Hat

Jacques Cousteau Hat by Lalla Pohjanpalo
 
I have looked at this hat on Ravelry many times. Just before Christmas I was looking for a nice classic style toque as a gift for some one and decided to give it a try. It was a simple easy design and I loved the finished hat. What I really liked was the design created on the top by the decreases.
 
 
                            
 
 
 The pattern offers 2 sizes and the original hat is knit in DK (22sts/4").  The first one, now gifted so I can't offer a picture, was knit in Berroco  Ultra Alpaca light.  I decided to try it in Cascade 220, a worsted (20sts/4"), and knit the small/medium size which turned out a perfect medium/large in the thicker yarn. Shown below
 
 

 
 The pattern is a knit3, purl 2 rib which is very stretchy, providing a snug comfortable fit. And it has a generous fold back brim for an extra layer over the ears. Because I enjoy playing around, I decided to try a baby hat out of some left over Fleece Artist sock yarn. An unexpected surprise was the colour pooling. 28 grams of sock yarn, 100 sts on a 3mm needle. It finished with an un-stretched circumference of 10 inches, 8 inch depth. Because this hat is so stretchy, I think it would fit from a newborn up to close to 9 months to a year

 




 
 I plan to knit a few of these as Christmas gifts for next year. 
 
Beth

No comments: